Friday, August 22, 2014

Collaged Vase Project

I was feeling crafty today on my last day of freedom before heading to school, so I gathered some supplies I had laying around the house to create a Beatles vase to add some sunshine to my room.  Here's how I created my project:

Supplies:
  • Collaging gloss
  • Sponge brush
  • Brushes to paint on design (I used a circular brush)
  • Paints in coordinating colors
  • Images
  • Vase or glass
Step One:

Pick and cut out your image. I practiced with both a glossy sheet and one that was mounted on a firmer cardstock. The firmer image held up much better and retained its brightness. The glossier image stuck on to the glass no problem, but grew darker due to the saturation of the gloss and had some air bubbles. On the other hand, the glossier one looked much more "collaged" as it seemed to meld right into the glass. I choose the firmer sheet, but in the end, your decision is a personal preference. You might want to try both to see which one you like better.

Step Two:

Glue the image to the glass with the collaging gloss. I applied the gloss to the wrong side of the image with the sponge brush. I placed it onto the glass and held it in place for about a minute before going to the next image. Use a small brush to gloss over the corners if those start to peel. Additionally, I put the images on the outside, since I wasn't sure if I would be putting water on the inside for flowers. Both ways would work, you just need to think ahead to see which way is best for your overall vision.

Step Three:

Paint your design on the glass. This is your chance to pursue this venture even more creatively. Circular dots in some coordinating colors matched the summery, psychedelic theme I was striving for in the finished product. Squiggles, lines, musical notes, and flora are just a few ideas that could be included in your design.

Step Four:

Patience. Let your piece of art dry for the specified amount of time on your paint and gloss jars. If it needs retouching, feel free to do so once it has dried.

Step Five:

Decorate! Use beads, flowers, and more inside the vase to add some fun embellishments. Or, if you're looking for a subtle, minimalistic tone, leave it be. This is your project, so let the ideas stem from your own mind!

I hope that you enjoyed this tutorial and use it to bolster your own creative endeavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment