Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Back In Time

Vintage clothing is simply beautiful. Wearing this type of clothing hearkens my soul back to a different era. My favorite time periods to draw inspiration from are the 1950s and 1960s. Experimentation and exaggeration were plainly seen in the way fashions were made and worn. From top designers to glamorous models to teens shopping on the street, fashions definitely helped to define these eras.

Knowing my affinity for the outlandish, it comes as no surprise that I enjoy wearing what I term "costume" pieces. Most people in their daily lives are not wearing A-line mini mod dresses or full skirts with petticoats. Although a few admirable souls do, which I think is quite fantastic. You might as well wear what you love, as your uniqueness sets you apart from the crowd.

Bearing this in mind, when I first saw the Simplicity Misses' Vintage 1950s Bra Tops pattern, I knew I would have to make these adorable homages to the yesteryears. So I bought the pattern and searched through my fabric for some whimsical material. Choosing a cotton fabric was crucial, as I wanted the finished product to read as a top, not as an undergarment.

First, I made this retro feeling bicycle bra top. Personally, I thoroughly love the vibe the print gives off, as it makes me think of summers biking around town. I could definitely see this particular top being worn with a pair of high-waisted shorts or a full midi skirt in a complimentary color. The back includes two tiny red heart-shaped buttons acting as a closure. There are two straps which act as a halter to tie up in the back. These straps are removable, which I thought was a nice feature.


This is the second top I made. The red flap on top of the Hello Kitty fabric really creates this striking contrast between the two pieces. The straps are made of the contrasting color and the back includes two black buttons to close the top. A red skirt and petticoat would complete this outfit in my mind.

Overall, the pieces turned out really well, as they were exactly what I had pictured them in my mind. It's always a successful project if that happens! I just hope there are still some warm days here so I am able to wear my new tops!

No comments:

Post a Comment